Sunday 8 December 2019

Bangkok once again

This was not my first trip to Bangers.

I'd first visited "the Big Mango" in 2010, and spent 5 nights exploring the city, hitting the most popular tourist spots (the Grand Palace, the Golden Mount, Jim Thompson's House, etc.).

I'd passed through the city several times since then, both for business and pleasure, discovering a few more sites or neighbourhoods each time (like the peaceful island of Ko Kret, or exploring more of the Thornburi side of the river, etc.).

Each time I visit Bangkok, I can find something new.

But I also have my Bangkok traditions. I always stay in the same hotel in Chinatown (Pho Place), down a quiet alley but only a few minute's walk from some of the best and most-vibrant street food scenes in Bangers (IMHO).

When I see Chinatown Gate, I know I'm almost at my hotel

A thing of absolute beauty - from Khao Moo Daeng Si Morakot

On this trip, I goggled modern art at MOCA Bangkok (impressive), checked out the temporary exhibit on the Terracotta Warriors at the National Museum (crowded), explored Sri Nakhon Park south of the centre at Phra Pradaeng District (bucolic), and on the way back spent an evening at Asiatique (not for me, but seems to be quite popular as an entertainment and dining site).

I'm sure the next time I visit I'll find even more new stuff.

Hornbill and Piranha by Ronarong Thanomtup

I'm sure there's an artifact somewhere in this room (crowds at the National Museum)

Asiatique riverside

Night-time views of the city, across the river from Asiatique


No comments:

Post a Comment