Tuesday 3 December 2019

Failure to trek but tummy successfully stuffed: Thakhek

Another sleepy Mekong-side town (this one across the river from Nakhon Phanom, and near the 3rd Thai Laos Friendship Bridge), Thakhek (or Tha Khaek) sees a regular trickle of Western tourists who come here to ride the multi-day "Thakhek loop" with its national parks and cave complexes. 

Despite the motorbike-riding adventurers, Ubud this is not. The town centre is compact, with only a few Western-oriented hotels, guesthouses and cafes in the central area. The attractions are also a bit thin on the ground for those who aren't renting their own wheels. The town centre is attractive, but did feel a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

Thakhek riverside

Town centre near the riverside

Old Thakhek


Modern Thakhek


I went to the tourist information centre to find out if there were any organised upcoming tours to any of the region's scenic attractions that I could join (Travelfish mentions that the tourist info centre had information on several affordable tours). However I was assured by the nice man at the tourist information centre that there were none -- I'm assuming there simply aren't enough tourists these days to offer group trips, and although they were willing to put me in touch with private guides and drivers,  the prices quoted were rather prohibitive for me.

So renting your own wheels, or hiring a guide and driver if you're flush, seem to be the only options. I can't drive, so the scenic attractions remained unseen.

Despite my failure to find a trek or tour to join, I did eat some great food by the riverbank (Ping Kai Napong restaurant), so I can't really complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment