Tuesday 3 September 2019

Marketing Mataram

Mataram has an image problem. 

I mostly used Travelfish when researching this trip. Travelfish does not mention Mataram at all. Trying to find some information on the area, I also checked my old Indonesia Lonely Planet from 2007 (which gives it exactly 3 pages, plus a map). I ended up relying on the information I could find on Google searches -- which wasn't much!

So no one knows anything about Mataram, so tourists don't go there. Shame.

Well, this is nice....

I know it's not idyllic, like the islands can be.

I know it's not beautiful, like the scenery in the mountains.

And, to be honest, it's a very small and low-key capital city, without the kind of grand boulevards, big museums, and thriving nightlife the words "capital city" normally bring to mind. 

But there is plenty of nice places to eat, for when you're getting bored of tourist-oriented restaurants with identikit menus. There is a wide range of shops, for when you need to replace your shoelaces, repair your sunglasses, or stock up on tampax, granola bars and Listerine in a large grocery store. 

Beyond the food and the convenience, and best of all, just east of the centre and easily reachable by taxi or ojek, is the Narmada area. 

The main attraction in the area is Taman Narmada (Narmada Park), a large garden complex build around a sacred spring. There's a large swimming pool on site, which you can access for an additional fee. I also spotted quite a few locals bathing where the spring flows into the main pond (although having earlier spotted a dead rat floating in the sacred waters, I didn't partake myself).

Overlooking the main central pond

I visited on a Tuesday, and the park was very quiet, with few other people there (as you can see from the photos). But there were a large number of closed food stalls on the hill overlooking the main pond, so I'm guessing this becomes a very popular eating and relaxing spot on weekends.

Just east of the park is Pura Kaweri Narmada, a Hindu temple known for beautiful grounds, and just north is the new Narmada Botanic Garden (which I didn't know was there on my visit, so unfortunately missed out).

So if you ever get to spend a month touring Lombok, like I did, you could do worse than taking a mini break from the coast and the volcano to slot in a day or two exploring Mataram!

2 more pics of the garden:





No comments:

Post a Comment