Friday 26 October 2012

The welcome of satay


Viscous tawny liquid bubbles slowly, like primeval mud in a volcanic badland. The smell that rises from the simmering gloop makes my nose twitch happily: peanuts, coriander, lemongrass and chillies.

This was my first experience of satay celup, the Melaka version of steamboat cooking.

Huge metal vats of bubbling sauce dominate the centre of each stainless-steel table. Over-bright fluorescent lights reflect off white tiles and greedy diners. Along one wall run shelves overflowing with bamboo skewers of every imaginable ingredient: prawns the size of my thumb, herb-flecked fish balls gleaming like pale pearls, slippery chicken livers and lumpy sausages, slender green okra stuffed with salty fish paste, morning glory leaves tied into small, neat bundles. There are other things too, strange meaty things I don't recognise.

Seeing I'm alone, a local teacher invites me to join her table. She gently steers me away from these stranger foods: “Not for you.” I am a Westerner, and hence expected to be timid in what I eat. She smiles over the chatter of languages rising around us like steam from the vats: bahasa Malay, Cantonese, English.

We help ourselves to skewers while waitresses, harried and sweating in jeans and t-shirts, scurry from table to table. They continually top up the vats of sauce and bowls of diced bread, to soak up the fragrant and spicy liquid; no one ever leaves unsatisfied.

Skewers are plunged into sauce. It's communal dinning at its most enjoyable - sharing tasty titbits, squabbling over tangled bamboo skewers, and laughing over dropped ingredients, lost forever in the bottom of the vat.

Finally, satisfied and replete, we lean back in our chairs as the waitress counts the sticky used skewers on our table to calculate the bill. My host insists on paying for my dinner, proclaiming me a guest in her city. She smiles, and is quietly gracious, like Malaysia itself.

I stumble happily back to my guest-house, both belly and heart full.



This article was written for the World Nomads travel writing scholarship in March 2012, based upon travels from January 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment