Wednesday 30 January 2013

On wanderlust

I've got the itchy feet, again.

I've been living (mostly) in the UK for over 8 years now, and if asked, I'd still say "I love it."

And I do.

I love the theatre (I probably go once or twice a month). I love the free museums, the big city parks and the riverside promenades. I love how close all of Europe is, and how easy it is to travel there.

But still I feel it: that creeping sense of dissatisfaction with my life. That niggle of boredom that lives behind your eyes and won't go away. That small voice asking "is this it, then?" That urge to make a massive change, bigger than just moving to a new flat or starting a new job.

That urge to run away.

So I'm thinking that it will be time to leave soon. I've got lots to do, before I can go. I need to save up some more money, so I've got a cushion in case it takes a while to get established in the new wherever. I need to decide what I'll do when I get there – will I do the same sort of work I'm currently doing (a corporate marketing role), or will I try and survive doing freelance marketing/events planning? Do I even have the guts to give up a secure paycheck? Or should I try something completely different? Can I make a living as a writer? Would I be any good as a teacher? Should I get a TEFL qualification?

I have no idea. But I have a feeling that I'm gonna find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment